- Minibus transport (max 16 guests)
- Return Ferries to/from Islay
- Services of a professional tour guide
- Tour and tasting at Oban Distillery
- Lagavulin Warehouse Experience
- Tour and tasting at Ardbeg
- Tour and exclusive tasting at Laphroaig
- Tour and range tasting Bruichladdich
- Tour and exclusive tasting at Kilchoman
- Warehouse cask tasting at Bunnahabhain
- 3 nights B&B accommodation at Freewinds & The Bowmore House
- Breakfast on days 2, 3 and 4 at Bowmore House
After departing Edinburgh you will head north into the Highlands the landscape becomes more mountainous and your guide will tell the history and culture of this stunning part of Scotland. Passing Loch Awe and into Argyllshire, with some great photo stops along the way, you will arrive in the Victorian town of Oban where we’ll tour the distillery and do a tasting before you have free time for lunch and some exploring. This is the seafood capital of Scotland so make sure you make the most of it. Your tour takes you to the ancient Neolithic landscapes of Kilmartin Glen. There are hundreds of ancient monuments and historic sites in this region, some of which you will explore. It is then a short drive down the Kintyre Peninsula to Kennacraig where you will board the evening ferry to Islay. The ferry crossing is around 2 hours and allows for some beautiful views of the islands of Gigha, Jura and Islay as well as the area surrounding West Loch Tarbert. There is time to relax in the bar with an Islay whisky; grab some dinner from the restaurant and just soak up the sea air before you arrive. On arrival into Port Ellen or Port Askaig it is a short drive to Bowmore to check in to The Bowmore House or Freewinds for your 3-night stay.
Days 2 & 3
With 2 full days to explore, there are plenty of options for sightseeing and your guide will share some of their favourite places with you. These can include empty beaches, whitewashed villages, ancient sites, the Kildalton Cross, medieval strongholds, fresh seafood, local wildlife and traditional cultures. With only around 3000 people and 8 world class distilleries, the chances of finding a ‘wee dram’ on Islay are pretty good. The distillery and whisky experiences will give you an insight into Islay’s most famous export. Your day includes a warehouse experience at Lagavulin, lunch and a tour at Ardbeg and a look at the Laphroaig maltings. Your second day brings a private tour of Bruichladdich, a chance to gaze over the Sound of Jura from the Bunnahabhain and a behind the scenes peek at the independent Kilchoman. Each night on Islay there are plenty of options for eating, drinking and relaxing. Your tour guide will let you know all the best places to get the most out of your time in Bowmore. There is an eating option for all budgets and tastes and with so much local produce on offer, you will be spoilt for choice. The whisky bars aren’t too bad either. Slainte Mhath, as they say in Gaelic.
After a final hearty breakfast, you catch the morning ferry back to Kennacraig. Arriving on the mainland, you head to the loch-side town of Inveraray. This is the seat of the clan Campbell, home to the Loch Fyne Whisky shop and your stop for lunch. After lunch (and some last-minute whisky shopping) your journey now hugs the shores of Loch Fyne and Loch Long before climbing up to the Rest and be Thankful pass for sweeping views. Then it is to the shores of Loch Lomond. With time to stop for some lovely views and stretch of the legs, this is the last stop on your tour before crossing the River Clyde and into Scotland’s largest city of Glasgow. Some of our guests may be leaving the tour here so we may make a shortstop in central Glasgow (George Square) before returning to Edinburgh.
* Accommodation is on a B&B basis in the Bowmore House and Freewinds. Please note that if the Bowmore House is not available we will source alternative local accommodation of the same standard. ** Due to various reasons (weather, closures and special events) it may not always be possible to visit all distilleries mentioned. Please be aware that, if this is the case, we will ensure that suitable alternatives are found.